Table of Contents
- How much does renters insurance cost in Atlanta?
- Average price of renters insurance in Atlanta
- The cheapest renters insurance in Atlanta: Lemonade
- The best renters insurance in Atlanta: State Farm
- Other Atlanta renters insurance providers to consider
- Learn more about renters insurance providers in Atlanta
- Other things you should know about renters insurance in Atlanta
- How we gathered our data on Atlanta renters insurance prices
How much does renters insurance cost in Atlanta?
The average price of renters insurance in Atlanta is $31.72 per month, as compared with the national average of $20 per month. Atlanta’s average price is significantly higher than the Georgia statewide average of $28.50 per month.
The most affordable provider we found in Atlanta was Lemonade, who offers renters insurance for about $22.00 per month on average. The most expensive was Allstate, with unusually steep prices of about $40.33 per month.
Atlanta’s high prices aren’t particularly surprising, given that the city has one of the highest crime rates in the US. Your chance of becoming a victim of property or violent crime in Georgia’s capital is 1 in 18. Renters insurance covers theft, which means the riskier your city or neighborhood is, the higher your premium (the amount you pay your insurer) will be.
Other location-related factors that affect the price of renters insurance in Atlanta include:
- Extreme weather: Renters insurance covers many forms of hurricane damage. Atlanta isn’t as exposed as coastal cities like Savannah, but it still gets hit fairly hard by tropical storms, which means you’re more likely to file a renters insurance claim for weather damage.
- Credit score: Your credit score affects your renters insurance premiums. If you have a high credit score, your premiums will be cheaper and vice versa. There are only a handful of places where you can get renters insurance with no credit check, and Atlanta (unfortunately) isn’t one of them.
There are also a few personal factors that affect the cost of renters insurance, including the amount of coverage you buy, your chosen deductible (the amount you’re responsible for paying when you file a claim), whether you’ve filed many insurance claims in the past.
Average price of renters insurance in Atlanta
In the following table, we’ve listed the average monthly and yearly renters insurance prices offered by Atlanta’s major providers.
In the right-hand column, you can see how each company’s prices compare to the citywide average.
|Insurer||Price (monthly)||Price (yearly)||Difference from average|
At the end of the article, we’ll explain how we gathered these quotes in more detail.
The cheapest renters insurance in Atlanta: Lemonade
Lemonade is the cheapest renters insurance provider in Atlanta. Their policies cost about $22 per month, which is 31% cheaper than the city average.
Lemonade’s low rates are tempting, but what kind of coverage are you getting for your money? Let’s look at a few pros and cons of buying a renters insurance policy from Lemonade.
Pros of Lemonade’s renters insurance in Atlanta, GA
- Top-notch digital platform: Lemonade is an almost completely digital insurance provider. You can manage your policy and file claims using their mobile app, and they process 30% of their claims automatically — and instantly — using AI. If you’re tech-savvy (like many of Atlanta’s young professionals are), then Lemonade’s digital platform will appeal to you.
- Some of their profits go to charity: Every year Lemonade donates some of the profits they earned from your premiums to a charitable organization of your choice. This is a small perk, but it’s nice if you would have donated some of your money to charity anyway.
Cons of Lemonade’s renter insurance in Atlanta, GA
- Lemonade doesn’t cover food loss: Due to Atlanta’s frequent tropical storms, power outages are common throughout the city. If your refrigerator stops running, your food might spoil, and while most renters insurance policies cover food loss, Lemonade’s don’t.
- No live customer support: The drawback of Lemonade’s digital approach is that if you need to speak to a live agent (e.g. to inquire about the status of your claim), it can be pretty hard to get in touch with one.
Overall, if you’re satisfied with automated service and prefer handling your insurance online, Lemonade is a solid (and very affordable choice). If you want an insurer who can provide personal customer service, you’ll need to find a different company.
The best renters insurance in Atlanta: State Farm
We recommend State Farm for most tenants in Atlanta. They provide a wide range of coverage options and have a strong reputation for customer service. Their prices are also relatively cheap — not quite as cheap as Lemonade’s, but still below average for the city.
Pros of State Farm’s renters insurance in Atlanta, GA
- Additional coverage options: State Farm offers several optional renters insurance riders that set it apart from its competitors, including:
- Solid customer service: As the biggest renters insurance company in the country, State Farm has an extensive network of agents and usually receives high marks for their customer service. There are several State Farm agents located in Atlanta that can help you over the phone or in person.
- Award-winning app: Like Lemonade, State Farm lets you handle your renters insurance via their mobile app, which has received very positive reviews and won two Webby Awards for its impressive design.
Cons of State Farm’s renters insurance in Atlanta, GA
- No flood insurance: Renters insurance doesn’t cover floods, but many renters insurance providers partner with the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to offer optional flood insurance policies to tenants. Unfortunately, State Farm isn’t one of them. This is disappointing in a city like Atlanta where flooding is a major risk. If you have State Farm’s renters insurance and you want flood protection, you’ll have to purchase it through a separate company.
- Limited bundling options: Most insurance companies offer a discount when you bundle your renters insurance with another type of policy. Even though State Farm offers many types of insurance (including life, auto, motorcycle, and boat insurance) it only lets you bundle renters insurance with auto insurance.
Other Atlanta renters insurance providers to consider
Ultimately, the best renters insurance is the one that meets your particular needs. We’ve highlighted the companies that provide the best insurance for:
- People in flood zones
- College students
- Bargain hunters
- Dog owners
Best Atlanta renters insurance for people in flood zones: USAA or Liberty Mutual
Flooding has always been one of the greatest threats to Atlanta renters and homeowners. In 2009, heavy rainfall over multiple days resulted in catastrophic flooding in the Atlanta metropolitan area. Over 20,000 homes and businesses sustained major damage ($500 million of property damage, to be exact).
USAA is the only provider whose basic policies automatically cover flood damage at no additional cost. This, in addition to their excellent customer service, makes them one of the best insurance companies in Atlanta. Unfortunately, there’s a catch — USAA’s policies are only available to military members, veterans, and the children and spouses of existing USAA members.
If you’re not eligible for USAA’s coverage, Liberty Mutual also offers optional flood coverage through the NFIP.
Best Atlanta renters insurance for college students: Lemonade (or your parents’ provider)
Students that live at home or on campus are often automatically covered by their parents’ renters or homeowners insurance. However, if you’re moving into your first apartment, you’ll probably need your own policy.
Lemonade provides solid renters insurance for college students because they’re very affordable, easy to use (especially if you’re tech-savvy), and offer enough coverage for most students’ needs. Lemonade is also ideal for first-time renters because they walk you through the insurance purchasing process using simple, easy-to-understand language.
Best Atlanta renters insurance for bargain hunters: Liberty Mutual
If you’re looking to lower your monthly premiums by scoring discounts on renters insurance, look into Liberty Mutual.
They set themselves apart from their competitors by offering discounts for the following:
- Going five years without filing an insurance claim
- Bundling renters insurance with other policies
- Enrolling in autopay
- Buying your policy via their website
- Switching to Liberty Mutual before your existing policy (with another provider) expires
Liberty Mutual is already the second most affordable renters insurance provider in Atlanta. If you’re eligible for any of those discounts, they might actually be the cheapest provider for you.
Best Atlanta renters insurance for dog owners: State Farm
State Farm is one of the only major insurers that will never ask about your dog’s breed, making it the best choice if you own a large dog and need renters insurance that covers dog bites. Note that State Farm does still reserve the right to ask whether your dog has a history of biting people.
Learn more about renters insurance providers in Atlanta
If you’d like to learn more about Atlanta’s major insurance providers, check out our renters insurance reviews. We take a deep dive into each company’s strengths, weaknesses, and consumer satisfaction ratings.
Other things you should know about renters insurance in Atlanta
There are a few other questions you might need answered if you’re thinking about buying renters insurance in Atlanta:
Does renters insurance cover storm damage?
Yes, renters insurance covers most types of storm damage, including:
- Lightning strikes
- Wind damage
- Falling objects (including trees)
- Burst pipes
- Many other forms of water damage
This coverage is invaluable in Atlanta during tropical storm season.
Is renters insurance required in Atlanta?
No, renters insurance isn’t legally required in Atlanta, but landlords are allowed to make it mandatory if they write it into your lease when you move in. They also have the right to evict you if you cancel your policy before you move out.
Is a credit check mandatory for renters insurance in Atlanta?
Yes, most renters insurance providers will run your credit in Atlanta. However, shopping around for a policy won’t hurt your credit score because insurance companies only do a “soft pull,” which has no effect on your credit. You can check as many providers as you need before making your final decision.
How we gathered our data on Atlanta renters insurance prices
The quotes we obtained from some of Atlanta’s major renters insurance companies were all based on the following profile:
- Insured party: 30-year old male, employed, unmarried, with no pets
- Personal property coverage: $30,000
- Personal liability coverage: $100,000
- Guest medical coverage: $1,000
- Loss-of-use coverage: Insurer’s default (usually based on personal property coverage)
- Deductible: $500
Depending on the coverage you choose and your own profile, the prices you receive may be slightly different from ours.
Some insurers require a down payment, which will also affect the cost of your premiums. However, it’s usually possible to get renters insurance with no down payment by paying for a year’s worth of coverage upfront.
- What is guest medical coverage in renters insurance?
- What is a sub-limit in renters insurance?
- Does renters insurance cover gold or silver bullion?
- What does "dependent in the care of" mean in renters insurance?
- Does State Farm renters insurance cover hotel stays?
- Does renters insurance cover bursting pipes?