Table of Contents
- How much does renters insurance cost in San Antonio?
- Average price of renters insurance in San Antonio by company
- The cheapest renters insurance in San Antonio: Nationwide
- The best renters insurance in San Antonio: Farmers
- Other renters insurance providers in San Antonio you should consider
- Learn more about renters insurance providers in San Antonio
- What else do you need to know about renters insurance in San Antonio?
- How we gathered our data on San Antonio renters insurance prices
How much does renters insurance cost in San Antonio?
The average monthly price of renters insurance in San Antonio is $22.86, which is roughly the same as Texas’s statewide average cost ($22.75 per month) and just a couple of dollars more expensive than the national average of $20 per month. The cheapest renters insurance in San Antonio is offered by Nationwide ($15.66 per month), and the most expensive is offered by Progressive ($34.35 per month).
San Antonio is the second biggest city in Texas, but its renters insurance policies cost less on average than those in other major cities like Houston ($28.89) and Dallas (24.51). This can partially be explained by the higher crime rates in Houston and Dallas.
These differences in cost can be attributed to several factors that insurers consider when setting prices for renters insurance:
- Crime rate: Although the crime rate in San Antonio isn’t the highest in Texas, San Antonio residents have a 1 in 23 chance of becoming a victim of burglary or theft, which is almost double the statewide average. As a result, renters insurance costs more in San Antonio than it does in safer areas like Terrell Hills and Olmos Park.
- Natural disasters: San Antonio is generally prone to natural disasters like floods and tornadoes. Renters insurance typically covers wind damage, which means that providers usually charge more in areas where tornadoes are common. By contrast, renters insurance doesn’t usually cover floods, but you can purchase separate flood insurance or add flood coverage to your existing policy with an add-on known as a renters insurance rider or endorsement. However, this will cost extra.
In the next section, we’ve listed the average price of major renters insurance providers in San Antonio. Later on in the article, we’ll explain how we collected this data.
Average price of renters insurance in San Antonio by company
The following table shows the average monthly and yearly prices of renters insurance in San Antonio and how they compare to the state’s average ($22.86).
|Insurer||Price (monthly)||Price (yearly)||Difference from average|
The cheapest renters insurance in San Antonio: Nationwide
Nationwide is by far the cheapest renters insurance provider in San Antonio. The average cost of their policies is $15.66 per month, which is 31% lower than the average cost of renters insurance in San Antonio.
Benefits of Nationwide renters insurance in San Antonio:
- Bundling discounts: Nationwide offers discounts on renters insurance when you combine your policy with another kind of insurance, like auto or motorcycle insurance (this is known as a bundling discount). Nationwide claims that their multi-policy discount can save you up to 20%, although your actual savings will depend on various factors, such as your location and the amount of coverage you’ve purchased.
- Extensive standard coverage: In addition to personal property coverage, personal liability coverage, and loss-of-use coverage, Nationwide’s standard renters insurance policies include building improvement coverage and credit card theft protection at no extra cost. This is more coverage than you can get under a standard policy with many other insurers.
Disadvantages of Nationwide renters insurance in San Antonio
- Replacement cost coverage costs extra: Nationwide’s renters insurance provides actual cash value coverage, which means you’ll usually get less money back when you file a claim. If you want your renters insurance policy to include replacement cost coverage (which gives you a higher payout), then you’ll have to pay extra to get it. This isn’t ideal, especially considering that competitors like Lemonade and State Farm offer this option free of charge.
Overall, Nationwide’s affordable monthly renters insurance premiums and solid coverage make it a good option if you’re price sensitive. However, if you have a lot of valuable items and want replacement cost coverage to maximize your payouts, you’ll have to pay extra.
The best renters insurance in San Antonio: Farmers
Farmers is our pick for the best provider in San Antonio because they offer extended coverage and flood protection.
Pros of Farmers renters insurance in San Antonio
- Optional flood insurance: While standard renters insurance policies don’t cover floods, Farmers offers flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Their agents will even run a “flood zone determination” on your property and provide you with full details on your coverage options and eligibility. This extra coverage option is especially important in San Antonio, which is one of the most flood-prone areas in the US.
- Personal articles rider: Renters insurance generally has low limits on coverage for jewelry, guns, and other select items. These limits range from $500 to $1,000, which means that if your expensive ring or gun collection gets stolen or damaged, you’ll only get back a small portion of its value, especially after you’ve paid your renters insurance deductible. Luckily, Farmers allows you to increase those limits (and be reimbursed for the full value of certain items) by purchasing something called a personal articles rider.
Cons of a Farmers renters insurance in San Antonio
- Price: The average monthly cost of renters insurance from Farmers ($22.58) is lower than San Antonio’s citywide average ($22.86), but their policies still cost more than some of their competitors’, such as Lemonade, Allstate, Nationwide, and Travelers. However, in addition to standard discounts for bundling policies and installing security and safety devices in your home, Farmers offers a discount for having a smoke-free home for at least two years.
Other renters insurance providers in San Antonio you should consider
There’s no shortage of renters insurance providers in San Antonio, and they all have slight differences that make them better suited to certain people. Next we’ll go over some other companies that offer the best coverage for:
- Military members and veterans
- Flash Flood Alley residents
- College students
Best San Antonio renters insurance for military members and veterans: USAA
USAA is one of the best renters insurance providers in the country. A standard USAA policy includes free flood and earthquake protection, which isn’t usually included in renters insurance. USAA also has an excellent reputation for customer service, and their prices are usually reasonable.
However, there’s a catch: USAA coverage is only available to military service members, veterans, and their families. This makes their policies pretty exclusive, and if you don’t fall into one of these categories, then you won’t be eligible for coverage.
Best San Antonio renters insurance for “Flash Flood Alley” residents: USAA (or an NFIP affiliate)
Along with other cities in Texas like Austin and Dallas, San Antonio is located in an area at high risk of flooding, nicknamed “Flash Flood Alley.” If you’re a renter and a flood damages your personal property, your landlord’s insurance won’t cover your losses, so it’s important to have extra coverage to protect your belongings.
USAA is the only provider that includes flood coverage in their standard renters insurance policy at no extra cost. We recommend getting your renters insurance from USAA if you’re eligible, but if you’re not, then consider going with one of the following providers, all of which can get you flood insurance under the government-run National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP):
- Liberty Mutual
Best San Antonio renters insurance for college students: Lemonade
Lemonade is ideal if you’re a college student on a budget or you’re renting your first apartment. You can buy a policy directly from their website, which is easy to navigate and uses simple language to explain complicated insurance terms. Once you have your policy, you can file claims and manage your policy through Lemonade’s app.
Lemonade is also one of the most affordable insurance providers in San Antonio, and they offer basic coverage that’s well-suited to a student’s needs. Like all renters insurance, their policies cover theft, vandalism, and fire damage. They also provide personal liability coverage if someone gets injured or sick in your home, which is essential if you like to throw large parties or have guests over.
Learn more about renters insurance providers in San Antonio
To learn more about some of the major insurance providers in San Antonio, check out our in-depth reviews, where we talk about each company’s coverage and the important things you should know before buying their policies:
What else do you need to know about renters insurance in San Antonio?
Renters insurance policies don’t differ that much on a city-by-city basis. However, there are still a few things you should know about renters insurance in San Antonio before you buy a policy.
Is renters insurance required in San Antonio?
No, renters insurance is not required by law in San Antonio. However, it is legal for your landlord to make renters insurance a requirement in your lease agreement. Your landlord may even be able to evict you if you cancel your policy while you’re living in their building.
Are guns covered by renters insurance in San Antonio?
Yes, guns are covered by most renters insurance policies because they’re considered part of your personal property.
Just keep in mind that guns and firearms usually have lower coverage limits (known as sub-limits) because they’re valuable and relatively easy to steal. This means that you might not be reimbursed for the full cost of your guns if you didn’t purchase enough coverage. If you’d like to insure your firearm collection for its full value, you can buy more coverage in the form of a scheduled property rider.
Is a credit check mandatory for renters insurance in San Antonio?
Yes, you’ll probably have to undergo a credit check when you get renters insurance in San Antonio. Texas isn’t one of the few US states where you can get renters insurance with no credit check. This means that insurance companies will run your credit to determine your premiums, offering lower prices to people with higher credit scores.
If you have a low credit score, don’t worry. Texas residents all have the right to get renters insurance, and if your application is rejected by two different insurance companies, then you can get a policy from the Texas FAIR Plan Association through Texas-licensed agents.
How we gathered our data on San Antonio renters insurance prices
We obtained quotes for renters insurance in San Antonio for a tenant with the following profile:
- Insured party: 30-year old male, employed, unmarried, with no pets
- Personal property coverage: $30,000
- Personal liability coverage: $100,000
- Guest medical coverage: $1,000
- Loss-of-use coverage: Insurer’s default (usually based on personal property coverage)
- Deductible: $500
The cost of your renters insurance policy is determined by several factors, such as your age, credit score, and employment status. Your quote will be slightly different from ours if you have a different demographic background or you select a different amount of coverage.
Some insurers may also add on a down payment or startup costs that can affect the price of your policy. If you’d like to avoid paying this, check out our guide to getting renters insurance with no down payment.
- What is guest medical coverage in renters insurance?
- What is a sub-limit in renters insurance?
- Does renters insurance cover gold or silver bullion?
- What does "dependent in the care of" mean in renters insurance?
- Does State Farm renters insurance cover hotel stays?
- Does renters insurance cover bursting pipes?